General Contractors 2018-09-04T19:04:30+00:00

General contractors are also known as Construction Managers, because they are the ones who design projects by working with architects to create design plans, budgeting, hiring building crews, and ordering supplies.  They are the ones others go to when they have an issue, and the ones who are blamed when something goes awry.  Having the right type of insurance as a general contractor will ensure your business, and your assets, are protected if anything goes wrong.

Types of Risks General Contractors Encounter

General contractors take on a lot of responsibility and risks that are associated to more than just accidents and injuries.

  • Falls from ladders or rooftops
  • Injuries to employees, subcontractors, or third-parties

  • Vandalism or theft

  • Tool malfunctions, breakdowns, or accidents

  • Faulty workmanship

  • Weather damage to incomplete projects

  • Delays and missed deadlines

  • Equipment damage

  • Seasonal downtime

  • Project budgeting

  • Design changes (increased risk of faulty work, injury, cost increases, etc.)

What Kind of Insurance Does a General Contractor Need?

To start, you should have a Business Owners Policy (BOP), which is a policy that bundles:

  1. Property Insurance – For buildings and contents owned by the company that are damaged during a covered event such as a fire, storm, or theft.
  2. Business Interruption Insurance – Compensates you for lost income if your company needs to vacate the premises due to disaster-related damage that is covered under your property insurance policy, such as a fire. It can also cover the extra expense of operating out of a temporary location.
  3. Liability Protection – Designed to protect you and your business from a variety of claims including bodily injury, property damage, personal injury, and other issues that may arise from your business operations.

BOPs can be customized so that you can add or remove an endorsement, tailoring the policy to fit your business’ specific needs.

Following a BOP, general contractors should consider the following types of insurance which are designed for construction companies and may be required by the State of Florida:

  • Umbrella Insurance Policy – Sometimes, General Liability does not provide enough coverage. In the event of a large claim, an Umbrella Insurance Policy can provide additional coverage for damages (if awarded) and costs of legal representation.
  • Workers’ Compensation – For construction companies, the employee requirements for Workers’ Compensation Insurance Coverage are different than other industries because of the greater risk for injury. If you employ a single employee, you must have Workers’ Compensation Insurance. This includes contractors, subcontractors, and temporary help.
  • Commercial Auto Insurance – Anyone who uses their vehicle for work (excluding commuting to and from the job) needs to have Commercial Auto Insurance. Personal car insurance coverage will not cover an accident when the vehicle is being used to perform work-related tasks such as meeting a client to discuss blueprints or picking up additional supplies – even if a personal vehicle is being used. As a general contractor, if you use a pickup truck, trailer, or other vehicle to transport tools and supplies, protect yourself (and your employees) against an expensive loss with Commercial Auto Insurance.
  • Professional Liability Insurance –  Protects against your company’s legal responsibility for the harm it may cause to others as a result of faulty installations or errors in services provided.

  • Property and Equipment Insurance – Goes a step further than Business Property Insurance to protect any special equipment your construction company owns (such as power tools) from damage caused by a power surge, mechanical breakdown or burned out motor, and even employee error.

  • Builder’s Risk Insurance – A unique kind of Property Insurance that covers a building that is under construction.  It can cover just the structure, or it can include the materials on site waiting to be installed or transported to the job site, and it is commonly required to fulfill contractual agreements.  Builder’s Risk Insurance protects against damage or loss caused by events such as vandalism, theft, fire, or poor weather conditions.